Should I Drive for Uber or Uber Eats?
Is Driving For Uber Worth It? Uber Review
I’m an Uber fan! I’ve used Uber for several years in San Francisco, Cincinnati and other US cities. I’ve chatted with the drivers and experienced great service. The fees are better than cabs and the drivers accessible.
But what about the Uber driver-partner perspective? Is Uber as great as it seems?
Are you wondering whether to partner with Uber or Uber Eats?
How Does Uber Work? Make Money on Your Own Schedule
How Do I Sign Up for Uber?
Here’s the entire Uber sign up process, from start to finish:
1. Review and meet the Uber partner driver requirements:
- A valid driver’s license
- A valid vehicle registration
- A clean driving and criminal history record
- Minimum 21 years old
- One year of driving experience in the U.S. (3 years of driving experience if you are under 23 years old)
- A smartphone
2. Complete the online background check:
- No DUI or drug offenses.
- No fatal accidents
- No reckless driving history
- No criminal record
Once approved, you must provide proof of insurance and have your vehicle inspected.
How Does Uber Work for Drivers?
The Uber partner app allows you to get pick up requests and provides turn by turn directions. You can drive as much or as little as you want. Just hop in your car, turn on the app, and you’ll get a pickup request from a rider.
After the trip, rate your passenger and accept another request, or turn off the app and go on with your day.
Uber EATS is a newer service where drivers pick up food orders and delivers them to the eaters. You can deliver for Uber EATS and Uber.
Want to try out Uber EATS? Get started now and make money delivering with Uber.
Every week, your earnings are deposited in your bank account.
So, to find out whether Uber is a viable side hustle, I interviewed several Uber drivers and came up with the pros and cons of driving for Uber.
Advantages of Driving With Uber or Uber Eats
- You can make money on your schedule, work when you want, 24/7.
- You get paid weekly. Earnings will vary dependent upon your location and when you drive.
- Uber provides incentives and promotions. It’s a great way to earn extra money. Great when there are concerts or other events.
- Provide a great service, and you can earn better tips through the app. All tips go directly to you, Uber doesn’t take a service fee!
- For retirees, partnering with Uber is a great way to get out of the house and chat with others.
- You get to explore different areas of the city, help others and talk with new people. Who knows, you might meet someone famous or someone to buy your next big idea!
- You’re your own boss, work as an independent contractor and don’t answer to anyone.
- You can choose to drive for Uber and Uber eats simultaneously.
- You gain tax benefits when you deduct your expenses from your income.
- If you don’t want to bother with passengers, you can pick up food with Uber eats and deliver it to the destination, for the same fare as driving a passenger.
- Uber provides some insurance assistance, through the corporate policy and access to commercial insurance for drivers.
So, before you sign up, look at the entire Uber driver partnership picture. Obviously, there are negative as well as positive aspects of partnering with Uber.
Disadvantages of Driving With Uber and Uber Eats
- As with any entrepreneurial venture, there are expenses. You incur insurance, gas, and wear and tear expenses as well. Uber takes a service fee for rides and Uber EATS deliveries.
- Your income is variable, it’s difficult to know how much you might earn on a regular basis. To earn more, you’ll need to drive peak times and that could be Friday and Saturday nights.
- You might deal with really drunk or unpleasant people.
- If you’re wondering, “How much do your really make with Uber?” the answer is “It depends” on your location, the hours that you drive and other factors. One Uber driver explained that although he lives in Sacrament California, he drives an hour or more to San Francisco to drive for Uber where there’s greater demand for the service.
Should I Drive for Uber Wrap Up?
Side hustling and making extra money are an important part of wealth-building. The more money you can make, save and invest, the more life and financial freedom you can enjoy. But, whether Uber is the best side hustle for you, depends.
If you have an energy efficient car, like to drive, don’t mind sitting and are seeking some extra cash, Uber might be a great side hustle solution for you. If you can earn $50 per hour consulting or aren’t crazy about driving, then this is not your side hustle solution.
If you want to earn money – on your own terms, click on the image and get started.
Disclosure: Please note that this article may contain affiliate links which means that – at zero cost to you – I might earn a commission if you sign up or buy through the affiliate link. That said, I never recommend anything I don’t personally believe is valuable.