WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY; Is This You?
And Barb Recommend’s Winter Reading
Imagine this, it’s 8:21 am, temperature 24 degrees Fahrenheit and icy. El Carino and I are sitting in a hotel lobby. Into the lobby walks a mom, wearing a top, sweater, and jeans accompanied by her daughter in a soccer uniform; shorts, ankle guards, and uniform top. Neither were wearing coats.
You may be thinking, who cares, mind your own business. But I do care, about the environment and the economy!
I am 99% certain these two are headed for the car, where in lieu of putting on their coats, they will crank up the heat. These are the same folks who are too lazy to walk into the fast food joint and would rather wait 15 minutes in a long line, motor running, for their hamburger and fries.
What is wrong?
Let’s list their infractions.
- Wasting precious energy, by leaving the heat on high before letting the car properly warm up.
- Wasting money by running the heat on high, using extra fuel, instead of simply putting on a coat.
- Mom is teaching these wasteful habits to her daughter who will then continue the cycle of waste.
Over the course of the year, this family probably spends countless extra fuel and money on habits which could be changed. Now, I’m not opposed to convenience, but being too late or lazy to put on a coat is just WRONG.
Be mindful of those small wastes; time, money, and energy.
Small changes in your lifestyle lead to more money in your pocket and more natural resources for future generations.
Think before you act.
Take a moment away from your busy life and relax with some excellent personal finance articles.
- Dividend Monk’s Bullish predictions for 2011. Agree or disagree?
- Wealth Artisan University is writing a 6 part series on BALANCE. Who doesn’t need more balance in their life?
- Everyday Tips and Thoughts writes about Planning for the Next Stage of Life. Great food for thought and action!
- Want to make some extra cash, 3 Unique Ideas that Pay $50 per hour at Wealth Pilgrim.
- Who doesn’t want to win a free kindle? Visit Realized Returns to apply.
- Join Happy Simple Living in the January Money Diet-It’s an awesome idea!
- Take control and feel great! Read Falling Prey to Temptation ; Self Control in an Age of Excess at Invest it Wisely.
- Stop by for a free copy of Carol’s, In the TrencheseBook. Financial Survival During Times of Hardship. Great advice for navigating these tough economic times!
What do you think, am I being too judgmental? What are small steps you take to save money and the environment?
image credit: hrrrhrrr