Make Money-Start a Business
“I am 57 and have been on Disability ($850 a month; I live in D.C.). I can’t get a job because of my unimpressive work record. I want to create a business but don’t know how to persuade anyone to invest in it. I don’t have accomplishments to point to. But I have a lot of talent and drive. I’d also like to stop renting (a room) and own.
Any thoughts? Thank you.” SL
SL wrote asking for help on starting a business. After a bit more correspondence, I found out that SL’s disability has been corrected and she has a Bachelors degree in English and talents in the the humanities and the social sciences.
Many folks would like to start a business, earn extra income and pull themselves up financially. Learn some basics about how to make money and start your own business.
Starting a Business Basics
SL, there are awesome resources available online for starting a business. Begin with a self analysis; write down what you like to do and what you’re good at. Think about people who are doing something that you’re interested in. For example, I have a 3 part series on How to Become a Virtual Assistant (part 1 is published, parts 2 and 3 will be live soon), a work at home option for the super organized worker.
Mind first, Money Second
Your motivation will wax and wane. Whether you feel motivated or not, keep up your commitment. Expect your motivation to wane, as long as you continue taking action, results will follow.
Next, write out a few steps to get started. Just dive in, don’t spend too much time thinking and planning, you can adjust later. Most would be entrepreneurs spend too much time thinking and not enough time doing. Use these resources to help you get started:
- 46 Ways to Start a Business with No Money by Brian Armstrong.
- The Small Business Association offers Online Courses for Entrpreneurs.
- Chris Gillebeau discusses How to Start a Business with $100 with Forbes Magazine.
- Sell your skills at elance or odesk.
- Sell your stuff on Craigslist, Ebay, or Amazon Fulfillment to raise cash.
Get Started Now
Do something right now, today, to reach your goal. In life, getting started and then following up are half the battle. The other half is taking an action every day to reach your goal.
- Choose an idea and write down a plan. Doesn’t have to be fancy, but you must put your plan in writing.
- Every day, write out your action steps to propel your business.
- Stay positive no matter what. Find supporters in your network or by reading motivational books.
- Hold yourself accountable. If you don’t reach a goal, figure out what went wrong, adjust and carry on.
- Keep in touch and let me know how you are proceeding.
Readers, share your own ideas about how to start a business.
image credit; google images_sprayfoamsys